Environmental, Health and Safety Manager
Vertellus is a dynamic international company, based in Indianapolis, IN, with more than a century of leadership in the manufacture of health, agriculture and performance chemicals. Our company is also a leading provider in the world of specialty chemicals for the agriculture, nutrition, pharmaceutical, fine chemicals, medical, personal care, plastics, coatings and many other industrial markets. Our products are in the things you use every day – toothpaste, deodorants, vitamins, pharmaceuticals, detergents, plastics, adhesives, inks, tires and more. Our culture is built on mutual trust and respect for all employees so that we can focus on providing the best products and solutions to our customers
Vertellus is currently seeking an Environmental, Health and Safety Manager to be located at our manufacturing facility in Zeeland, MI. The EHS Manager will provide comprehensive leadership, support, and guidance to the site on implementing the company’s Environmental, Health and Safety Management Programs. The EHS Manager is responsible for site compliance with all EHS regulatory requirements. The incumbent is expected to interact with managers, technical staff, operators and customers to ensure regulatory and company EHS requirements and goals are achieved.
The EHS Manager will lead site efforts to prevent incidents and events that harm people, property or the environment. The manager is responsible to ensure the Indianapolis Facility is in compliance with applicable, local, state and federal regulations (e.g., OSHA, CAA, RCRA, CWA, CERCLA, CSA, HSA, EPCRA, SARA, PPA) as well as the internal requirements established by Vertellus.
- Personally practice and re-enforce all site safety policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Provide daily guidance and direction in EHS programs to all employees, contractors & supervisors to ensure a common and effective approach.
- Manage site permitting activities (e.g., hot works, safe work permit, LO/TO).
- Lead and manage on-site EHS team members and contractors.
- Participate in emergency response drills and critiques.
- Support Corporate EHS initiatives through participation in the EHS council and sub-teams.
- Conduct internal and external audits, job safety analysis, inspections & recordkeeping.
- Industrial hygiene monitoring and ergonomic assessments.
- EHS performance tracking and reporting.
- Provide regulatory and safety training for employees and contractors.
- Maintain and update SOP’s for all safe work practices and equipment.
- Incident investigation and corrective action tracking.
- Participate in Management of Change reviews and Process Hazard Analysis.
- Manage required reporting relative to local, state and federal regulatory agencies.
- Maintain good working relationships with regulatory agencies and lead the site Safety Champion team.
- Manage site’s Workers Compensation claims.
- Prepare and manage the EHS budgets for the Zeeland site.
- B.S. degree in a related field plus a minimum of 5-10 years of EHS experience in manufacturing.
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience; preferably in an EHS role.
- Must be able to work with limited supervision in a team environment.
- Ability to prioritize and adjust workflow depending on site needs.
- Effective interpersonal, verbal/written communication, presentation & report writing skills.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of changing situations.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills.
Vertellus offers competitive total compensation packages including benefits such as: medical, dental, vision, life, 401(k), disability insurance, flexible spending account, paid holidays and vacation time. To apply to this position and/or learn more about other career opportunities at Vertellus, please visit us on the web at www.vertellus.com/careers. Vertellus is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, religion, age, veteran status, disability status, genetic information or any other protected category.
This employer participates in E-verify.
Vertellus does not conduct online interviews and we do not charge an application fee.